Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hawaii - Writing

Sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane to Portland, I am feeling a bit sad realizing how quickly time is passing. This is the first time Ryan and I have been apart since we started our trek April 1, 2010. Although we have only been apart for about an hour, I just feel off. Not myself. From talking to people, many often wonder how we spend so much time together and still get along. Ryan and I have figured out our niche so to speak. We flow very well together and talk about everything. There are times when one of us acts unreasonable and/or irrational, but we both always come back, apologize and move forward. From the beginning of our relationship, we have tried to live by this words, "You be you. I'll be me. We'll be us." It has done wonders and continues to be a foundation of our relationship.

We arrived in Hawaii on May 3 to visit our friends Laurel and Todd aka: Grimey, Grimes, Grime-time. Ryan and Todd have known one another since the 90's (he was on the boat trip if that helps ring a bell) and I too have known Todd for quite some years as he lived in San Diego. Todd picked us up at the airport in a his red Volvo wagon with a huge grin across his face. It had been a few years since either of us had seen him, so it was instant smiles and hugs all around. We were fortunate our travels worked out as they did, giving us a 5 week "layover" in Hawaii.

Our time in Hawaii went by the quickest yet. We were welcomed to the beautiful island of Oahu with 6 days of rain, wind and clouds. Oddly enough, that was perfectly fine. We could spend our days inside doing nothing without feeling bad about missing out on hikes, swimming, etc. Living in a tent, riding each day and not having much down time, we both embrace the time to sit on a couch with a book, search the internet, play video games, cook elaborate meals, and enjoy the everyday luxuries that a home provides. Those 6 days of rain gave us time to settle in, relax and get excited to explore the island. 5 weeks of hikes, swimming, frisbee, hacky sack, backgammon, darts, cocktails, food, mango picking....what more could you ask for?

The weeks flew by and before we knew it, it was time to continue on our journey. I headed to Portland, OR to visit my dad and Gina, then to Ohio for a college friends wedding where I also spent time with childhood friends and my in-laws. Although Ryan and I did not meet until San Diego, we grew up 15 minutes apart. Such a small world. As I headed to the lower 48, Ryan on the other hand made his way up to Alaska where he met his sister for 12 days of riding out of Anchorage.

No comments:

Post a Comment